Sunday, November 19, 2017

Thankful in Every Way

This week, by all standards, went quite well. For the first time, when Dylan left, I didn't feel completely overwhelmed with taking on the household duties, kid duties and work duties of our typical week. I don't think anything fundamentally changed...it's just that my attitude may have been in the right place this time. We had fared pretty well when he was gone for six days on the previous trip. Yes, we were eager for him to return at the end of that stretch (we are always eager for his return!), but I wasn't at the point of desperation. So, a little 3-day trip was not really gonna break me.

The boys, as expected, fed off my peacefulness and really took it pretty easy on me. I don't recall much about the details. Work was boring, and Wednesday was looooooong. By 11:30, we had tackled our morning chores and cleaned up the house, hit the gym, went to swim class and shopped Trader Joe's. In general, once we go home, we don't go back out...because we're not insane and nothing is worth driving another 1.5 hours round trip. So, that was a long afternoon. But, anyway, here is some photo footage of the past week.

Monday night was dinner at my parents' house and another joyride to the neighborhood park with cousins.

Graham got his own luxury ride home after he got a little flustered in the trunk with the big kids.

Happy birthday to me, with my mom's homemade cheesecake...and only a few weeks after the actual day. Not bad!
Post-bath snuggles

He was a perfect gem while big brother did swim lessons.

Oh, and Gavin is officially ready to graduate his level at swim class after an eternity in this class! I told them to wait and do the whole medal and celebration next week when Dylan and my mom could be there for it.

Dining outside on Wednesday


Bounce! Bounce! Bounce! he says.

This one is really into asking me to take his picture and then when I do, he makes a funny face.

Case in point.


I hope his other cousins don't feel slighted!

So happy to have Daddy home for breakfast on Friday!


Making masterpieces pre-7am.

Safety first: eating snacks on an elevated surface next to a knife block (with a butterknife in hand).



The boys joined Nonna and Papa at a car show while we did the Rugged Maniac race.

Beasterman snuggles.

Our Rugged Maniac team from Dylan's Crossfit gym.

Daddy's little helper with yard work.

Donuts at church!

Play time after church!

This weekend was so nice and low-key. Dylan took off on Friday morning while I hung with the boys, and then we switched so I could get a few errands done in the afternoon. On Saturday, we headed out to Glendale for the Rugged Maniac race with Dylan and Max's friends from Crossfit. It was pretty fun! But after a loooooong drive home, I was ready to get out of wet, muddy clothes. The race was only a 5k, but the obstacles were pretty fun. I skipped a few...the risk of injuring myself was never going to be worth it to me. The mud was gross...but I got over myself pretty quickly and realized it was all part of the fun. And, all of a sudden, we're at Sunday. We've been to church, done some chores, and maybe I'll get out on a bike ride to get my head right for the coming week. The busy-ness will not lighten up, but it's all good stuff, so I cannot complain. We are looking forward to the holiday week, for sure, and the season that is upon us! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment