Sunday, October 15, 2017

Happy Ending

We had our first week with Dylan away since the end of August, and actually it went as well as could be expected. I've had plenty of flashbacks from this time last year when things were not so chill, and so I made myself approach this new busy season with some fresh perspective. It's amazing what a healthy dose of good attitude can do.

We were busy and had lots of errands to run on Monday, but I loaded up those kids and dragged them all over town, and everything went well. Our early mornings for work and school were fine, and my least favorite day (Wednesday) was not bad at all! For once, Graham did not sleep on the way home from swim lessons, so he took a nice, long nap in his crib. We even ventured back out to the park in the afternoon where we ran into a friend from the gym and had a lot of fun.

This guy makes us laugh every single day.

Staring at his jack-o-lantern...too bad those things rot in just a few days.

So excited to buy a new Lego set with some saved up birthday money.

We built a race car!

Ice cream! I always tend to dig out the mini ice cream cones when I have an afternoon alone with the boys. Keeps them happy? Buys me a few hands-free minutes? Breaks up the afternoon? All of the above?


By Thursday, things turned south. My throat had begun to hurt a little on Wednesday night, so I took some ibuprofen on Thursday morning and lassoed the lads out the door for a full day. After a few hours at work, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I rounded up the boys after I finished out my shift, and luckily Dylan had arrived back home from his trip just before us. I put on my PJs and hunkered down in the guest room at 5:20 where I remained for the rest of the night. Thankfully not only was Dylan at home, but he's also a rock star at handling the boys by himself when necessary.

Thanks to the convenience of the Walgreens' health clinic when common ailments require the intervention of Western medicine, I was on my way to good health by Friday morning. I avoid medicine whenever possible, but I do think a round of antibiotics are in order when strep throat is the culprit. It makes me nervous...the microbiome is really important in my not-so-humble opinion...so I loaded up on probiotics, and I'll just hope for the best.

Super Nonna took our boys on Friday morning, even though she already had one of their cousins. Dylan had an important appointment, and I had to get my illness under control.

It's not all fun and games at Nonna and Papa's house! The boys helped with laundry after getting their clothes dirty at the park.






By Saturday, I was ready to accompany Gavin to Luke's birthday party. He had a blast doing crafts, building blocks, bouncing in the bounce house and pushing himself around on the scooter. His favorite thing, of course, was the cupcake. Happy birthday to Luke!




His head is so big that I almost couldn't fit the strap around his chin!


Back at home, Dylan and Graham were taking naps...Graham, because he's 1 year old, and that's normal...Dylan, because he was in need of some recovery sleep. I suppose this is a good time for a quick PSA: the Dutch Bros new nitro cold brew is no innocent beverage, especially not at 3pm. It'll keep you caffeine charged and wide awake all night long. (Ask Dylan how he knows.)

Naked teeter totter ride, anybody?

This morning was our regular church routine. It takes no convincing to get Gavin in the car for church since they have a large collection of Legos in the 4s room. Graham has a grand ol' time, too. When Dylan picked him up from the Walkers room and asked, "Is Graham here?" they responded with, "Oh yeah, that guy owns this place." So, we get to enjoy an uplifting message every week while the boys play happily, and it's a win for everybody. We help ourselves to donuts afterward, and the boys spend a few minutes playing outside with Luke before we hit the road.

Sunday morning shenanigans- Gavin built vehicles for himself and his little brother. So sweet!

Graham loved his airplane!

Learning the fundamentals of sharing.


The afternoon found G and me road-tripping to Gilbert for another birthday party. This time for Drew! We had fun catching up with old friends and, of course, eating birthday cake. Gavin conquered his fear of jumping into a foam pit, and I don't think I've ever seen him so excited. This should just about close out birthday season for us. It's been fun, but the timing is good to usher in a busy holiday season.





The weekend went way too fast, as it always does. It wasn't the best because it started out a little rough, but it was most definitely not the worst. Having a slow 24 hours is sometimes okay, even if it is due to illness. Feeling thankful for good health more than ever right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment