Sunday, December 3, 2017

NOLA 2017

Well, we went to New Orleans, and it was awesome. But first, I want to back up and tell you about Christmas at the Princess. We've been a couple times before in years past, and it usually gets pretty crowded with really long lines. I am here to tell you to mark your calendar for the Monday night after Thanksgiving every year. We practically had the place to ourselves, and it was awesome. As soon as we'd finish a ride, we'd get right back on to do it again. It wasn't even cold (which has me a little freaked out), and we had so much fun.

The best we could do for a family picture.

Not sure who had more fun on this ice slide thing.


Gavin thinks his big cousins are so cool!


Riding the Ferris Wheel a bunch of times while the grandparents took turns with Graham down below. He was too small...maybe next year.

Selfie the Elfie

Poor Graham took a big spill and split his forehead open on the bathtub earlier in the day.



These four cousins sat in the front row for two train rides.

By Wednesday morning, our boys were with my parents, and D and I were headed to New Orleans for Dylan's work trip. I was able to stowaway on the jet both there and back, which was incredible. Getting a break from security lines and crowded airport terminals is always a good thing. I'll never turn down enjoying the perks of the extreme upper class while simultaneously maintaining my status as a regular person.

We checked into our room on Canal Street, and that night, we attended a reception for work. People would not stop putting drinks in my hand, and after just a couple hours I was feeling pretty unhealthy. Dylan got me back to our room and then ducked back out for a night on Bourbon Street with his work friends. I'm such a let down!

On Thursday we met up with John for burgers at Port of Call for lunch, and after walking around town, we ventured into one of those reflexology places where a small army of Asians went to town massaging our feet, neck and shoulders all at once. It was a real experience, but it was time and money well spent! After that, we actually went to see a movie. It seems so dumb to go to a movie while on vacation, but it's really the only chance we get to do it. Plus, it was raining a little bit, and we've already seen most of New Orleans. The flick was Lady Bird, and it was really, really good. For dinner, the three of us hit Drago's for the best oysters in town. Afterward, D and I ventured into the Carousel Bar and actually got a seat at the carousel for the first time ever. So fun.

On Friday, we took the trolley to the Garden District, which was beautiful. We did lunch at the rooftop bar at the Ace Hotel, and after taking a walk down by the river, we went back to the hotel to relax for a little bit. We met up with John at 4:50 for the best seafood in town at GW Fins. Getting there early and eating at the bar is the only way to do it. You have to make reservations a week in advance to get a table...which, for us, will never happen. Eventually we found ourselves on the balcony at a bar on Bourbon St. The entire street is torn up for construction, which took away from the ambience a little bit and made the sidewalks really, really crowded. Somehow, we found this quiet little balcony and hung out all night long.

It's great that the guys get to NOLA for work every few months. They know all the best places to go, when to go there, and what to eat. We had such a great time on this trip. It was a great mix of seeing new things and visiting familiar places. I really love New Orleans, which I think is because it has so much character and also because I'm getting to know my way around it just a little bit. I think the best part of all was getting so much time to hang out with Dylan, but it was also great to lay lazily in bed in the morning and read books and do whatever I want without anyone begging for breakfast. Another major perk was getting to know some cool people a little better and hearing some of their fascinating stories.

We headed back to the plane on Saturday with a bag of shrimp po boys in hand. Because some of the other passengers had airlined home on Friday, I had the entire back half of the jet to myself. I had a very hard time finding anything to complain about on that flight. It was a luxurious three hours.

Can someone please come here and teach these old people how to take an elevator selfie?

Pathetic

Do we look really relaxed? Because we had just finished a reflexology session.

A carousel selfie!

We stayed for a glass of wine and two revolutions around the carousel.

At the top of the Ace Hotel

A fun, flowery lunchtime Pimm's Cup/.

Bourbon Street was all torn up!

Our view from the semi-private balcony.


I missed my boys, but as you can see in the pictures below, they did better than just fine in the care of my parents. I'm sure my parents were tired by the end, but I think they all had a lot of fun. How lucky are we that my parents willingly take the boys and do so many fun things with them when we go away!

Treasures from Dollar Tree






Nonna saved a little tree to decorate with G.

So many trips to the neighborhood park!


Checking out the Christmas town.






Graham got a special day alone with Nonna while Gavin was at school.







Gavin was so proud of his Lego city!



The boys went with my parents to check on my dad's car at the paint shop and got to check out this cool monster truck while they were there.




Hot tubbing with Papa.

Roasting marshmallows!


Saturday morning at Home Depot


My mom took both boys by herself!




We sent Dylan off for a contract trip for the day, and the boys and I are laying low and catching up on things around here. Dylan will head out to Vegas this week for work. His boss was kind enough to invite me along again, but I am unfortunately a person with responsibilities, including but not limited to parenting and showing up for a job. So, we decided it was best that I hung back for this trip. And truthfully, I am not a fan of late nights, loud noises, bright lights, crowded places and chaos. So...Vegas and I do not make a great match, anyway.

This trip gave us so much to be thankful for...Dylan's job and the generous people there, my flexibility in being able to join him, my parents watching the boys...it goes on and on. We've got some good people on our team, and we appreciate them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment