Friday, September 1, 2017

Weekend Update

Here we are, on Friday afternoon, as a full, intact family of four. It almost wasn't so. On Wednesday night, Dylan found out about a lucrative 5-day contract trip over the weekend. The thought of a long weekend on my own with the boys in the awful heat made me very, very sad. I know I've said it before, but weekends out here are the worst. You can really only go out for a couple hours in order to accommodate a nap, unless you want to spend like three hours in the car in a single day to make a second trip into town. Even with meticulous planning, Graham still usually falls asleep in the car and then doesn't take any naps in his crib, and it's a total racket. Being stuck way out here all day, especially when you can't go on walks or be outside, isn't so great. Actually, it's a unique type of torture if you're the only parent in this scenario. My heart said no, don't do the trip. But my mind told me that this wasn't the time to be turning down lump sums of money, so I gave him the green light.

As it turned out, the trip cancelled, and it made all of us very happy. Today turned into a very full day of family fun. The first stop was our respective gyms. After cleaning up, I went for a massage while the boys were across the street at CNS. (Code for: Chicken Nugget Store, i.e. Chick-fil-A. An acronym that Gavin has already decoded, but we think we're so funny, so we still say it.) Before you call Dylan a hero for parenting the boys during my massage appointment, just know that he squeezes in the same appointment, along with whatever else he needs/wants to do while I'm at work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Just for the record. But even so, with all things considered, he really is our family's hero.

ANYWAY, We ran around on errands for the airplane and let Gavin check out the planes in the hangar before hitting the aquarium. We've been there a bunch of times, but the boys have so much fun every time. After a run through Costco, we finally made it home. Graham squeezed in a few minutes of shut-eye while we were driving around, but we provided enough entertainment (and snacks) to keep him happy for the afternoon.

As far as the rest of the weekend? It's anybody's guess, but I'm sure I'll be back before too long to provide a lengthy report on our activities. And as for last week, I think the only thing I have for you is that Gavin had his 4-year check-up and took his shots like a champ. He ended up with an injection site reaction on his arm a couple days later and randomly threw up this week, but he seems okay now. We went out for ice cream and splash pad fun after his appointment.


My little ham. Always making us laugh.

A photo from Dad on duty.




Swimsuit model


He asked me to take a picture of his car on the Magic Tracks, a birthday gift. So, here you go.

We had to post a video of Gavin doing his homework. Right now, he gets excited for it. This week, he even said, "I love homework." I have a feeling this won't be the case for long, but I'll take it while I can get it.



The cannonball at swim class is still Gavin's favorite moment of each week!



Okie dokie, TTYL. Hope it's a great long weekend. Oh, and welcome, September! Please cool things down around here quickly. Though, I can't do much complaining about the weather when I think of our friends down in Houston. What a nightmare. Did you know that 80% of people whose homes were damaged in the flood don't even have flood insurance? What will they do? It's heartbreaking and awful, but my heart is warmed by all the people around the country who are moved to help. It restores a little bit of faith in humanity, and I hope the combined efforts and donations are enough to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment