Sunday, October 1, 2017

Welcome, October!

I bought apple pie scented soap at Target today, and now that it's October, it feels like a legitimate purchase. I could even decorate with pumpkins and not feel like I'm jumping the gun. Though I haven't tracked down the fall decorations quite yet. But I'll get there. We have no hint of a chill in the air, but it's my favorite time of year, and I plan to enjoy it accordingly.

I was glad to have a weekend at home. We had fun, and our boys are overtired. The hallmark of a great weekend. But I'll back up and start with the happenings from over the week.

We celebrated Cruz's big 6th birthday at Peter Piper on Monday!



The five cousins. Such a sweet group of boys.

School pictures of this handsome stud came back this week.





We kicked off the weekend by enjoying an outdoor happy hour at Isabella's. The first time since before summer! We had six boys in tow, and they had a great time tearing up the golf course while we enjoyed drinks. On Saturday, it was more birthday fun while we went to a magic show to celebrate the birthdays of a brother and sister in Gavin's class. The best part was watching the little kids run around chasing a soccer ball and tackling each other after they were high on sugar from the birthday cake. Gavin got right in on the action. He's a pretty low-key guy, so I don't know if I've ever seen him run so much! The twins' parents were kind enough to invite Graham, too, so it was an entire family affair, and a good time was had by all!

Petting the magician's rabbit.




Today was for errand running and church before hitting up my parents' house for birthday dinner for my dad and brother. (Their birthdays are in July, so we're on par with the typical Palmer family birthday dinner schedule.)


When Dylan starts traveling again, our Target trips won't be such an adventure....

Spoiler alert! Graham is super into Elmo lately, so when his cousins brought over this costume for him to borrow, we just had to put it on him. He loved it so much that he hugged it the whole way home.



I've always complained that September is the worst. It's so hot, and I'm SO over it by then, and just nothing is really great about it. This year was different. Dylan worked a couple of day trips, and other than that we had him at home quite a bit. Plus, we got an early break in the weather, and it all just had us feeling good and happy and sleeping better at night. In the last few years it's seemed like we've gotten a few of these pockets of time where the plane was in maintenance or for whatever reason there was a break in the schedule, and having D home for a long stretch has always come right when we needed it the most.

It'll be back to reality soon enough with a golf trip and a Vegas trip and a couple of work trips on the books this month. It's nothing I haven't done before, but the help and company around here sure have been nice. The slow mornings, family time and small pockets of alone time have been heavenly. Getting back to our old norm won't be so bad...it's time the kids were reacquainted with the Kids Club at the gym so that my butt can get reacquainted with some muscle tone. When Mama Bear is in charge, I run a much tighter ship, and we could probably all benefit from a little more structure. At this time last year, when D traveled almost every week, I was in a world of hurt. I didn't sleep, and I was an overwhelmed, anxious and emotionally bankrupt zombie. But this time, everyone is a little bit older, and I feel like maybe I've got a better grip on things. It's never easy, but as long as I can keep the insomnia at bay and remain of sound mind, I think it can be done. We should come out of it relatively unscathed. Plus, D will be around for most weekends, so really I can't ask for better than that. October, we are glad you're here and look forward to the adventures you have in store for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment