Friday, November 3, 2017

Halloween, etc.

Well, the boys started off the week with a bang. They were in the capable hands of my parents on Monday while D and I reported to duty at our respective jobs. Super Nonna took both boys, along with their cousin, to the Railroad Park by herself. Because Super Nonna is afraid of nothing. And of course, they all had a great time!


Papa drawing the train and cattle car for G at home afterward.





G took a ride in the cattle car by himself while Nonna took the little ones. 

Three of the sweetest!


After that, we got on with the business part of the week...but we were sure to squeeze in all the festivities of Halloween! My mom, the real MVP of the week, got to Gavin's school before the parade to help him into his costume. I reported to work for one hour and then zoomed back up north to watch Gavin take a couple laps around the playground before it was back on-duty for the rest of the day. In the afternoon, my mom got the boys from school so we could get a head start on Halloween. I met up with everyone that evening at Jojo's house. It's a tradition we look forward to every year! The boys ate pizza with their cousins, and then it was photos in costumes before trick-or-treating.





Um, his costume may have been a tad on the large side.

He was SO happy to see me during the parade. It made it more than worth it to go see him.


Graham was a bit of a pill in his costume, and he would scream and scowl any time somebody pointed a camera in his direction. He was the cutest little Elmo, but definitely not the most cooperative one. It took a fair amount of work to pull off this day, and all I wanted was a picture with my boys in their costumes. I didn't end up getting a good shot...but it wasn't for lack of trying.

Take one...

Let's try this again...

Not satisfied.

Finally, before we headed home for the night, my mom snapped this one, and I decided to call it good enough.

Gavin had a blast trick-or-treating with his cousins, and he was so proud of himself for filling up his bucket. Once we got out on the street, Graham was happy as can be and kept up with the big kids pretty well!

Cousins pizza party!









Thank goodness Papa was there to do my heavy lifting!


The Elmo to my Cookie Monster was not feeling so photogenic


After about seven or eight houses, this mom was spent. We said farewell to the group and headed back to the car for a curbside bedtime routine. My little lads didn't even fight it. They were spent, too. I was so glad that I had thought to throw toothbrushes and PJs in the car before we left in the morning in an attempt to avoid a bedtime disaster back at home. (I'm sure none of the trick-or-treaters passing by minded the diaper change out of the back of my car.) It was a long day but overall a very good Halloween. I was able to plop Gavin right into his bed, and I never heard another sound out of him for the night.

Graham was still full of P&V the whole way home, but Gavin slumbered peacefully with his candy safely snuggled in his lap.

That was a wrap for Halloween. We pulled it off, but I do hope that (for the next few years, at least) Halloween and a work day for me and a travel day for Dylan don't all fall on the same day again. Solo parenting sometimes takes more than I have to give, even on non-holidays. I was so thankful for the assist from my mom and the meal from Jojo. I couldn't have done it without my team!

After that, we carried on with our merry lives, which included a trip to the park on Wednesday. Thursday was normal, and so was today. Until, of course, I dropped the boys with my parents (again!) some time shortly after 3pm and called the rest of the evening mine. A solo shopping trip and a quiet house to myself for the night...rarer than a snowbird in hell but the absolute best way to spend a Friday, as far as I'm concerned.



He is such an adorable, playful, silly little monkey...but he also has a feisty side to him that cannot be tamed!

A gingerbread turkey and a 4-year-old too cool for photos (in his underwear).

Bubbles and basketball at Nonna and Papa's house this afternoon.

Nonna dug up some Batman PJs...G's fav!

My fuse had run short, and I was not acting the best version of myself by Day 5 of holding down the fort on my own, so I think this was best for everyone. And then my mom texted to tell me that Gavin said, "I love my mom so much, she's my favorite," and the night got even better. Well, the weekend is upon us, and it should be all smiles from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment